Please take our quick survey!

Bookmark and Share  

FAQ | Pregnancy Questions and Answers

How and where do I get a birth certificate?

All children born in South Africa must be registered within 30 days of their birth at the Department of Home Affairs (in terms of the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992.)

A parent, parents, guardian or any other person legally responsible for the child must complete the correct form (available at home affairs) and it must be submitted to the nearest office of the Department of Home Affairs if you are in South Africa, or the nearest South African embassy, mission or consulate if you are overseas.

Once the child’s birth has been registered, an abridged birth certificate is issued free of charge, usually a day or so after the registration application has been submitted.

You could also go through the following agencies to assist you with this process:

Leave a Reply